Wednesday 30 October 2013

Introduction of the Netherlands

When international people ask a Dutch person "Where are you from?", and you tell them you are from The Netherlands, the first thing they say is: "Marihuana!!". Furthermore, they think we only eat cheese, wear wooden shoes, and live in windmills.. I am talking about a typical Dutch stereotype that most people have about us Dutch people. 






Yes, you find a lot of Marihuana smoking people in Amsterdam, the capital of The Netherlands, where most international people live. And the farmers you can find way more in the north and the east of The Netherlands. However, the Netherlands is way more than this stereotype. It has different provinces with different cities, people, and accents. Below this text you can watch a movie and hear the different type of accents that they have. Besides the movie you can see in which province they speak it. 







2 comments:

  1. Hi Chermaine! I just read your post and actually I find the things you wrote quite interesting! I'm also from The Netherlands and this sounds so familiar to me. Last time I spoke to a Spaniard, I told him that I was Dutch and he said right away: Oooo Marihuana, everybody is smoking in The Netherlands, no? Keep on writing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Haha yes that's true! They all think the only thing we do is smoking weed. For this reason I would like to show international readers what kind of people we really are! Thanks for your comment!

    ReplyDelete